Saturday, September 27, 2008

Knit One, Save One.....Or Crochet One, Save One (in my case)


So I am so super excited to see that Save the Children has finally brought back this program. It was called "Caps to the Capital" two years ago when they did it for the first time. I'll tell you what it's about.....



In developing countries, 4 MILLION newborns DIE EACH YEAR in the first month of life, half within the first 24 hours after being born. But a package of simple health measures provided to mothers and babies worldwide could prevent 60 percent of these deaths. The missing ingredients to save most babies’ lives include antibiotics to fight infection, immunizations
against tetanus, training for skilled birth attendants, and education about
breastfeeding and basic care such as keeping the baby warm. This is where your cap comes in!


These babies need more than caps – they need your voice too.
The United States can lead the way in saving young lives by increasing funding
for critical health measures for mothers and children in developing countries.
To do this, we need your help. You can write a letter to the President-to-be. Download the action kit, all the info is in there.





http://www.savethechildren.org/


Your cap can help us save a life.
Your letter can help us save millions more
.



Crocheting is EASY ppl.....your hats don't have to be perfect. YOU can help stop preventable death of these babies. I've posted a link to the save the children website where you can download your action kit. A little bit of your time will greatly help these sweet babies. There are plenty of tutorials on the internet that teach you how to crochet. Need more convincing?? Go to the save the children website and look at all the photos of the sweet babies wearing hats ppl did two years ago. Hooks for crochet are about two dollars, so is a skein of yarn, which will do about 10 of these little hats. It's cheap, and you make a difference.



Me and two of my friends who did this two years ago are getting together on Thursday nights, I think maybe everyother Thursday night to make caps together. Email me if you want to join us. I can help you learn if you don't know how.

K, I will get off my soap box. I really LOVE this program tho.



I am going to go think up some new crochet designs to make some cute hats for this, and maybe some to sell. I am thinking about doing some animal hats, they are super cute on babies. Paxton had one I made him. I also made all his cubby-mates ones while he was in the NICU. I love them. Will photo them as I get them made. Sorry about the teaser yesterday, as soon as I'm able, I'll post pikkies of that stuff too.


Anyhow, I am super pumped about this crochet, and I have some sewing left to do too... Forward this to friends and stuff, start your own group or something!



Loves!!

No comments: